Wondering, Can I use BBC iPlayer in Australia? Yes, you can but with the help of a VPN service due to the geo-restrictions on BBC iPlayer. Fret not, this guide will tell you the best way to get BBC iPlayer in Australia without any hassle.
In our opinion, the best way to get BBC iPlayer in Australia is by using a premium VPN like ExpressVPN. It has the best security features to offer along with blazing fast speeds while streaming iPlayer online in Australia or any other country outside UK.
So, what is BBC iPlayer and how does it work? BBC iPlayer service is a popular British streaming platform that is home to the top trending BBC iPlayer movies, and shows, including the popular the Mysterious Mr Lagerfeld, Guilt, Stacey Dooley: Ready for War and many more.
Without further ado; let’s take a look at How to watch BBC in Australia free?
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia? [Easy Steps]
How can I watch BBC on my TV in Australia? Just follow these four easy steps on how can I watch BBC iPlayer in Australia in 2023:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN. We highly recommend it because of its fast-speed servers!
- Set up and log into the ExpressVPN app.
- Connect to a British server (preferably East – London) from the list.
- Now head over to BBC iPlayer, Sign in, and start streaming BBC iPlayer in Australia for free without buffering.
Note: However, if you don’t have a BBC iPlayer subscription in Australia; it’s very easy to register for a BBC iPlayer account.
After registration, you can also watch BBC One Live stream in Australia. You can also uninstall BBC iPlayer and cancel BBC iPlayer account by following our easy guide.
What are the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer in Australia? [Quick Comparison]
Here is the comparison table of the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer in Australia:
|VPNs||Total Server Count||Simultaneous Connections||Price|
|ExpressVPN||3000+ servers in 94+ countries||5||AU$10.07/mo (US$6.67/mo) (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan)|
|Surfshark||3200+ servers in 65+ countries||Unlimited||AU$3.76/mo (US$2.49/mo) (83% Off on 2 Years Plan)|
|NordVPN||5310+ servers in 59+ countries||6||AU$4.97/mo (US$3.29/mo) (Save 60% on 2-year plan)|
|CyberGhost||6000+ servers in 88+ countries||7||AU$4.15/mo (US$2.75/mo) (Save 79% on 1-year plan)|
|IPVanish||2000+ servers in 75+ countries||Unlimited||AU$0/mo (US$/mo) (Save 70% on 1-year plan)|
|PureVPN||6500+ servers in 75+ countries||10||AU$3/mo (US$1.99/mo) (Save 82% on 2-year plan)|
Why do I need a VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
You can’t watch BBC iPlayer without VPN. You need a VPN to bypass BBC iPlayer geo-restrictions and watch it in Australia. BBC iPlayer in Australia is geo-blocked because of the copyright policies and licensing agreements and can only be accessed through a premium VPN like ExpressVPN, which is the best way to use BBC iPlayer in Australia.
Therefore, when you try watching BBC iPlayer in Australia without a VPN, you will be instantly blocked by the service and come across the following BBC iPlayer proxy error:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to right issues.”
So, if you wonder Can I watch BBC iPlayer in Australia with a VPN? Yes, By connecting to UK servers, a VPN will hide your local IP address and swaps it with one from the United Kingdom, tricking BBC iPlayer into thinking that you are watching their service from the United Kingdom.
People also ask, Is it legal to use a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer? Yes, it is legal to use a VPN. Although, it may be stated under the Terms of Service of iPlayer that its use is prohibited, but no one can be held under law if caught using it.
Besides BBC iPlayer, with the help of a VPN, you can access a number of other British-based geo-restricted websites too. Currently, you can also watch Cycling Ride London and Superworm on BBC iPlayer.
You can also check our detailed guide if BBC iPlayer does not work with a VPN.
How can I Watch BBC iPlayer for Free in Australia?
Can I use BBC iPlayer without registering? No, you cannot as it is an essential step. Creating a BBC iPlayer in Australia account is easy. Follow these steps to sign up for the BBC iPlayer account in Australia for free:
- Download and sign-up for a VPN (we recommend ExpressVPN because of its high-speed servers).
- Login to ExpressVPN and connect to one of the servers from the UK (East – London).
- Now, head to the BBC iPlayer website and click on the “Sign in” option.
- A new page will appear; click the “Register Now” option.
- Now it will ask about your personal information, including your age, date of birth, name, email address, and postal code. For Postal Code, use SW1A 1AA for London, E1 OAA for East London, and E16 2JE for Docklands.
- Enter all these details and select the “Register” option, verify your email, and start watching BBC iPlayer in Australia.
Note: While subscribing to BBC iPlayer from Australia, you might get a notification asking you if you have a TV license since. Don’t fret; all you need to do is click the “Yes” option, it will allow you to access the content immediately without inquiring any further.
What are the Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Which VPN still works with BBC iPlayer? We’ve tested 50+ VPN services for unblocking BBC iPlayer in Australia for free, among which we chose the best 3 BBC iPlayer VPNs.
These VPNs were chosen based on the highest security features, unblocking capabilities, and countless servers. The top VPNs which work with BBC iPlayer are:
1. ExpressVPN – The Best VPN for BBC iPlayer in Australia
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for BBC iPlayer in the United States due to its fast speeds. On a 100 Mbps connection, it averages 89.42 Mbps in downloads.
We tested the East London server, and the VPN unblocked BBC iPlayer immediately. ExpressVPN offers a total of 3000+ servers in 94+ countries.
The test results gave us an 89.42 Mbps download speed, and 84.64 Mbps upload speed, which is enough for high-end streaming. With this speed, you won’t have any problem accessing FA Women Super League in Australia.
The East London server also worked well for us while watching BBC One in Australia; however, the Docklands server should be avoided because it is the slowest one!
ExpressVPN has a MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) option that allows it to connect to any devices or operating systems that don’t have a specific VPN app. With this amazing feature, you can even unblock BBC iPlayer in NZ or anywhere in the world.
It offers support for Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows. Moreover, ExpressVPN is compatible with PC, PlayStation, Firestick, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, and Smart TV. Watch Out of the Shadows: Born from Rape on BBC iPlayer, it is one of the many good series on BBC.
It allows up to 5 simultaneous connections per account which cost AU$10.07/mo (US$6.67/mo) (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan) and comes with an exclusive offer of 12 + 3 months free on their yearly package, along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
So if you look at it, you are subscribing to ExpressVPN free account altogether. If you don’t like it, you can always get your money back. Subscribe Now!
- Works with BBC iPlayer in Australia
- 30-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- Supports 5 Simultaneous Connections
- Verified & Audited “No-Logs” Policy
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS and Android
- Slightly Expensive Pricing
2. Surfshark – Pocket-Friendly VPN for Streaming BBC iPlayer in Australia
Surfshark is the most affordable BBC iPlayer VPN in the United States. It comes with an affordable plan with a tag of AU$3.76/mo (US$2.49/mo) (83% Off on 2 Years Plan) and also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We tested Surfshark UK servers and found the Manchester server to be the fastest and the Edinburgh server to be the slowest, the latter should be avoided at any cost!
For connectivity, users have access to 3200+ servers in 65+ countries, among which 4 servers are available in UK cities.
How to access BBC iPlayer in Australia with Surfshark? Users have access to 5 static IPs in the United Kingdom. Surfshark servers work on BBC iPlayer perfectly well without any throttling.
On a standard 100 Mbps connection, Surfshark BBC iPlayer gave us a download speed of 88.14 Mbps and an upload speed of 83.72 Mbps. The difference in speeds might seem significant, but rest assured, Surfshark servers don’t affect your streaming experience.
Surfshark works great with BBC iPlayer; it provides military-grade AES-256 encryption, VPN Kill Switch, Clean Web, Bypasser, and Camouflage Mode.
The best part of all: streamers can enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections on a single subscription. It also lets you watch other channels in Australia.
Moreover, Surfshark supports Linux, Windows, Routers, Android, iOS, macOS, and gaming consoles. It is also compatible with streaming devices such as PlayStation, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Wi-Fi routers.
- Affordable prices
- Unlimited simultaneous connection
- Chat support is available 24/7 for problem-solving
- 256-bit AES channel encryption and no logging problems
- Money back guarantee of 30 days is available
- Weak social media presence
3. NordVPN – Largest Servers Network VPN for BBC iPlayer in Australia
NordVPN has perhaps the largest server network for unblocking BBC iPlayer in the United States with ease. For bypassing geo-restrictions, users have 5310+ servers in 59+ countries. These come in handy for watching this service in Australia.
Its applications are quite intuitive and responsive. The interface allows for an easy selection of servers for unblocking. We opted for the London server, and it worked well for us!
On the other hand, NordVPN’s Manchester server gave us a pretty hard time watching BBC iPlayer live in Australia. Therefore, it should be avoided!
According to our test results, you can enjoy buffer-free streaming because there is a tiny speed change after connecting to the server.
On the speed test, NordVPN Australia performed very well! It gave us a download speed of 86.49 Mbps and an upload speed of 79.42 Mbps, good enough for bufferless streaming!
NordVPN provides military-grade AES-256 encryption, VPN Kill Switch, Clean Web, Bypasser, and Camouflage Mode. Users also enjoy 6 simultaneous connections per account.
Moreover, it supports Linux, Windows, Routers, Android, iOS, macOS, and gaming consoles. It is also compatible with streaming devices such as PlayStation, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Wi-Fi routers.
You can get NordVPN’s 2-year plan just at AU$4.97/mo (US$3.29/mo) (Save 60% on 2-year plan).
- It is one of the largest service networks, which has a huge range of UK servers.
- AES-256 bit encryption is available, IKEv4 and IPsec
- Chat support is available 24/7 for continuous problem-solving help for customers
- 6 simultaneous connections on a single account
- There might be some glitches that may occur while you are using the app from your mobile phone.
- The IP address remains static
What is the Criteria to Choose the Best VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Are you curious to know what VPN should I use for BBC iPlayer? Don’t worry. We tested BBC iPlayer VPNs based on the following criteria:
- Consistently unblocks BBC iPlayer in Australia with ease and other popular geo-restricted streaming services.
- It provides optimum speed connections for streaming without a lag.
- It offers strong encryption protocols to protect users’ data with a no-log policy.
- Supports all major devices, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Smart TV, etc.
- Offers at least 5 or more simultaneous connections on a single subscription.
What You Can Watch on BBC iPlayer in Australia in 2023?
BBC iPlayer is an all-rounder streaming service that offers unique and different content. The streaming platform’s library showcases best programs on BBC iPlayer along with cartoons, popular movies, and amazing BBC Australian drama.
What TV shows does BBC iPlayer have in Australia in 2023?
If you’re wondering how can I watch BBC shows in Australia, then the steps are quite simple and discussed above.
Enjoy a list of the most trending titles and watch BBC series that should be on your watchlist:
|Colin from Accounts||Top Gear|
|Dog Days||Conversation with Friends|
|Peaky Blinders||Gentleman Jack|
|Doctor Who||Happy Valley|
|Apprentice Australia||The Snail and the Whale|
|Murderville||The Traitors US|
|Death in Paradise||The Warship: Tour of Duty|
|The English||Inside No 9|
|Our Changing Planet||MasterChef UK|
What Movies are on BBC iPlayer in Australia 2023?
Here’s the list of the best movies on BBC iPlayer which you shouldn’t miss:
|Beautiful Boy||Schindler’s List|
|Wild Life||The Duchess|
|Belle||The Railway Man|
|Don’t Look Now||The Damned United|
|King of Thieves||The Shawshank Redemption|
|The Omen||Marie Antoinette 2022|
|The Last Right||The Ones Below|
Can I Watch Live Sports on BBC iPlayer?
Yes, you can watch the following Sports events on BBC iPlayer:
Sports on BBC iPlayer in 2023
|Women’s FA Cup Final||Six Nations|
|Scottish Championship||FIFA World Cup 2022|
|Formula 1||Irish League Football Live|
|Bellator MMA 296||Manchester United VS Manchester City|
|Men’s FA Cup 2023 Final||Snooker World Championship|
What’s New to Watch on BBC iPlayer in June 2023?
BBC iPlayer is all set to release a variety of TV shows, series, and sports events in June 2023. Here are some of the popular titles that have been recently released or are set to be released on BBC iPlayer:
|Rugby Challenge Cup 2023||BBC Cardiff Singer of the World Competition 2023|
|Waterloo Roads||MOTD Live: FA Cup Final|
|Who do you think you are||Men’s Scottish Cup Final|
|Hidden Treasures of the National Trust||Steeltown Murders|
|River City||Celtic vs Inverness CT Scottish Cup Final|
|Gallows Pole||Man like Mobeen|
What Channels Can You Watch on BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Is BBC iPlayer a free channel? Yes, BBC iPlayer is a free streaming service which also offers live and catch-up TV from all of BBC’s channels.
You can watch the following BBC channels in Australia:
Channels on BBC iPlayer
|BBC One||BBC Two|
|BBC Three||BBC Four|
|BBC News||BBC Parliament|
What device can I Watch BBC iPlayer on?
BBC iPlayer offers a large variety of HQ BBC drama Australia, radio shows, and movies free of advertisement and is also available on all major devices. You also get BBC iPlayer Windows App now.
You can download BBC iPlayer in Australia on the following devices:
|Amazon Fire TV||Android devices|
|NOW TV Box||PlayStation 4|
|Android Nvidia Shield||iOS devices|
|Apple TV||Xbox 360|
|OS X||Amazon Firestick|
|Smart TV||Wii U|
How do I get BBC iPlayer App in Australia?
To download the BBC iPlayer app Australia on your device, you must follow this BBC iPlayer download hack which requires you to connect to ExpressVPN first, and then using a different Google account, visit the Play Store and get the BBC iPlayer app, or else the app won’t show up on your regular account.
How to Download BBC iPlayer App in Australia on Android
Follow the steps below to download BBC iPlayer app in Australia on android:
- First, sign in to Google Play Store with two or more different accounts on your Android device.
- Now close the Google Play Store, open the VPN app (we highly recommend ExpressVPN), and connect to East London server.
- Now go back to the Play Store app and search for BBC iPlayer with the existing account you are already logged in to. It won’t show you the BBC iPlayer app but don’t panic.
- Without closing the Play Store, switch to another account.
- Now search again for the BBC iPlayer app Australia, and this time, the app will appear on the screen to download and install.
- Download and install the iPlayer app and start watching in Australia.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia on Chromecast?
If you want to view BBC iPlayer on Chromecast in Australia then follow the seven steps outlined below to make this feasible using the best BBC iPlayer VPN ultimately:
- A reputable BBC iPlayer VPN subscription is necessary (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Install the VPN app on your streaming device and then sign in.
- Connect to one of the UK servers using your VPN (Recommended: East London server).
- Search for “BBC iPlayer” on your device’s “Google Chrome browser” and go to the website.
- Sign in to the BBC iPlayer website, or create a new account if you don’t already have one.
- You may now view any content on iPlayer that you want. To access the “playback screen,” go to the “Cast Icon” menu.
- To cast a video, choose the name of your “Chromecast device” from the list that appears, and then enjoy viewing BBC iPlayer on Chromecast.
How do I Install BBC iPlayer in Australia on iOS Devices?
Wondering how to get BBC iPlayer app in Australia on iOS devices. Follow these steps to get the BBC iPlayer in Australia iPhone app:
- Open the VPN app (we highly recommend ExpressVPN), and connect to any server in the UK.
- Go to “Settings” on your iOS device and then click on your Apple ID profile.
- Now tap on the “Media and Purchases” option > select “Country/Region” > tap “Change Country or Region” > select “United Kingdom” and then on the “Terms and Conditions” page, tap “Agree.”
- Now enter all the required details, and for the UK locations, you can provide any address and number from the internet since Apple does not verify it.
- Once your region changes to the United Kingdom, head to App Store and search for the BBC iPlayer app.
- Now download BBC iPlayer in Australia on your iPhone.
How Can I Get BBC iPlayer on Firestick in Australia?
Here’s how can I get BBC iPlayer in Australia on Firestick:
- Turn your Fire Stick on and select the Apps from the Unknown Sources option. Ensure that it is turned on. You can find the option under Settings > Device > Developer Options.
- You must download and install the Downloader app if you don’t already have it.
- Open the VPN app (we highly recommend ExpressVPN), and connect to any server in the UK.
- Launch the VPN application and pick a UK server.
- If “Apps from Unknown Sources” is enabled, restart the Amazon Fire Stick.
- Install the BBC iPlayer app by searching for it from the store.
- Start the BBC iPlayer app and log in with your credentials.
- Start streaming BBC iPlayer on Firestick in Australia.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer Roku in Australia?
BBC iPlayer Roku app is available in Channel Store. However, to watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in Australia, you will require a British-origin account first. Follow these steps once you create a BBC iPlayer in Australia Roku account.
- Start by resetting your Roku device.
- Now, configure a VPN on your router and establish a VPN connection to a British server (we recommend ExpressVPN for Roku users).
- Unite your Roku device with the TV and sign-up with your UK account.
- Now go to Channel Store, search for iPlayer, and install it.
- Once the iPlayer installs on Roku > Launch the app > Sign in to your account and enjoy BBC iPlayer in Australia on Roku.
Note: After setup a VPN on your router, make sure that the Roku is connected to the same router connection. Otherwise, iPlayer will not allow you to access the content.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Smart TV in Australia?
How do I install BBC iPlayer on my TV? Here’s how to download the BBC iPlayer on Smart TV in Australia:
- First, You need to change your smart TV region to the UK, which you can find on an official brand website like Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba, TCL, Hisense, etc. (see a full list of Smart TV supported by BBC iPlayer from here)
- Now, set up a VPN on your router and connect it to a UK server (we recommend ExpressVPN). After that, connect your smart TV with the same internet connection on which you set up a VPN.
- Please search for the BBC iPlayer app and add it to your channel list.
- Now open the BBC TV app > Log in to your account or register it by visiting bbc.com/account.
- Open the VPN app on your TV and sign in by clicking the icon on the top left menu and enjoy in Australia or anywhere.
- Now you can watch BBC iPlayer on TV.
How do I Get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in Australia?
To watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in Australia, you must switch your App Store region to the United Kingdom.
This is because the BBC iPlayer Australia Apple TV is unavailable, and you can only download the app from the UK region App Store because of content rights. Here’s how to get BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in Australia:
- Connect Apple TV to the TV.
- Now go to “Settings” on Apple TV -> Select “General” option -> Select “Region” option.
- Select the United Kingdom as your region and enter all the required details.
- Once you switch to the British region -> Go to “App Store” and seek the “BBC iPlayer TV app,” download it (You don’t need a VPN until this point).
- Now set up a VPN on your router (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Once your Apple TV is connected to a VPN via router -> Open BBC iPlayer > Log in to your account and enjoy.
Are you Unable To Watch BBC iPlayer in Australia? – [Troubleshooting Tips]
If you are unable to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia, then we recommend that you implement the following troubleshooting tips:
- Clear your browser’s cache, cookies, and history before trying to stream iPlayer again.
- Turn off your phone’s GPS service.
- Reconnect the VPN to a different server.
- Reach out to your VPN provider’s customer support team.
is BBC iPlayer available in Australia?
However, you can easily watch BBC iPlayer in Australia with the help of a reliable and premium VPN like ExpressVPN. It will provide you with a UK IP address and make you to access BBC iPlayer-blocked content in Australia on any of your devices.
Is it illegal to use a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Is BBC iPlayer free in Australia?
Can I use a free VPN for BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Moreover, 18% of free VPNs use no encryption protocols, almost 40% contain malicious malware, and 84% are vulnerable to IPv6 leaks.
How to Watch BBC One in Australia?
Do all VPNs work with BBC iPlayer?
Wrapping It Up!
This ends our guide on How to get BBC iPlayer in Australia? here With one of the above-mentioned VPNs and steps, now you can easily watch BBC iPlayer in Australia for free.
While all the listed VPN providers are fully capable of granting you access to BBC iPlayer in Australia, if we had to pick the most reliable, optimized, fast, and efficient VPN for the job, it would be ExpressVPN.
Feel free to comment in case you have more questions on how to download BBC iPlayer on TV or you need help in gauging the BBC iPlayer hack outside UK.