Interested to know how to get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada? Below I will provide you a step-by-step guide to watch US Netflix on Apple TV while living in Canada.
Despite Netflix is available in more than 190 countries, streamers all around the world always in a hunt to get access to Netflix USA library. The reason behind this insane demand for American Netflix is exclusive TV shows and movies that are not available in other Netflix countries.
And since there is no official way to access US Netflix from Canada on Apple TV or any other device, I found a simple workaround that 100% works if you use a compatible VPN. Here is how you can do it:
How to Watch US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada (Easy Steps)
It is far easy to access Netflix USA in Canada on a device that supports a VPN app. But unblocking Netflix on Apple TV is a bit complicated since it does not support a VPN app. After testing different ways, I found the following three methods easy to set up a VPN on Apple TV:
- Set up a VPN on Your iPhone/iPad and Airplay on Apple TV
- Set up VPN on Your Home Router
- Configure Smart DNS on Apple TV
Method 1: Set up a VPN on Your iPhone/iPad and Airplay on Apple TV
- Subscribe and download a VPN app on your iPhone/iPad device (I highly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Now open the VPN app and sign in.
- Connect to the USA server from the list.
- Head to the Netflix app and log in to your account. Based on your US IP address, it will automatically redirect you to the American Netflix library.
- Select a TV show or movie you want to AirPlay. Make sure that your Apple TV is connected with the same internet connection.
- Now tap on the “Screen Mirror” icon and select your Apple TV.
- Now start watching American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada.
Method 2: Set up VPN on Your Home Router
- Open the browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the URL to open the router dashboard.
- Now click the “Services” option and the select “VPN” option.
- Turn on “Enable” that is located to “Start Open VPN Client” option.
- Now contact your VPN support team to set up the configuration (I highly recommend ExpressVPN if you don’t sign up for a VPN already).
- Now launch the Apple TV and connect to the Wi-Fi router.
- After that, open the Netflix app and sign in. Based on your US IP server, it will automatically shows you US Netflix.
- Select your favorite title and start watching on Apple TV in Canada.
Method 3: Configure Smart DNS on Apple TV
- Sign up for a VPN that offers Smart DNS to unblock US Netflix (I highly recommend ExpressVPN as it offers “MediaStreamer” to access different libraries of Netflix from abroad).
- Now head to ExpressVPN website, select “My Account” and then select “DNS Settings”.
- Below “IP Address Registration”, select “Register My IP Address” option. Keep in mind if it already shows “registered” next to your IP address, then there is no need to select this option.
- Now turn on “Automatically Register My IP Address”.
- Go to your ExpressVPN’s account settings, select “Dashboard” located on the left sidebar. Now click on “Set Up Other Devices” option.
- Select “Apple TV” > After selecting Apple TV, the MediaStreamer DNS server IP Address will appear on the screen. Note it down because you need it in a while.
- Now launch the Apple TV “Settings” and then select the “Network” option.
- In the Network menu, select Wi-Fi.
- In the Wi-Fi menu > select “Wi-Fi Network” and scroll down to “Configure DNS” and select it.
- Now in Configure DNS menu, select “Manual”.
- Enter the MediaStreamer DNS IP Address that you just noted down and press “Done” option.
- Now restart your Apple TV and then launch it again.
- Head to the Netflix app and start watching your favorite content from the US library in Canada.
This is how to get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. A VPN or Virtual Private Network has the ability to change your local IP address and DNS address with the location of your choice. However, not all VPNs are able to get you US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada.
But don’t worry because I have already listed the best VPNs that will let you access US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada.
Best VPNs to Get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
ScreenBinge tested over 50 VPNs to find out the best VPN to unblock Netflix USA on Apple TV in Canada. And I found the following three providers as the best working VPNs to get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada:
1. ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Get American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
ExpressVPN is the best VPN to unblock US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. This provider offers 3000+ servers in 90+ countries and 300+ servers in American Netflix locations. With ExpressVPN, you can easily access US Netflix on Apple TV by using any one of the mentioned above methods. If you’re wondering how to get Peacock TV in Canada, or Getting Vudu on TV in Canada then this is the best service.
Besides Apple TV, you can also watch US Netflix from Canada on Windows, iOS, Android, Smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, Firestick, Xbox, PlayStation, and Chromecast.
It offers five simultaneous connections on a single subscription and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. Surfshark – Pocket-Friendly VPN to Unblock US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada
Surfshark is a pocket-friendly VPN that successfully unblocks American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. It offers 3200+ servers in 60+ countries and 1000+ servers in US Netflix locations. If you don’t have an iPhone or iPad to AirPlay US Netflix on your Apple TV, you can set up Surfshark’s Smart DNS or configure it on your home router to get American Netflix in Canada.
It is the only provider in the list that offers unlimited simultaneous connections on a single account. And it is totally risk-free to use Surfshark as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. NordVPN – Reliable VPN to Access Netflix USA on Apple TV in Canada
NordVPN is a reliable VPN to watch US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada. This provider offers 5400+ servers in 59 countries and 1900+ servers in US Netflix locations. During testing, I tried to access all the mentioned above methods using NordVPN. And all the methods allow me to unblock US Netflix on Apple TV in Canada.
This provider offers ten simultaneous connections and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch American Netflix on Apple TV in Canada?
Netflix is available in almost 190 countries. However, because of content rights and distribution policies, the content library varies from country to country.
This means the content available on US Netflix might not available in Canada. And to know the user’s location, Netflix uses an IP tracking system. And since the internet you are using contains your local IP address that is associated with the country code you are residing in.
So when you access Netflix, it triggers the IP tracking system that redirects to the content library that is available in your country by detecting your local IP address.
But when you use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), you can hide your local IP address and change it with the USA IP address. This tricks the Netflix that you are living somewhere in the US and thus redirects you to the American Netflix instead of Canadian Netflix.