Looking for a way to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA as the service is geo-restricted and only available in UK?
Today, In this blog, I am going to tell you steps to access BBC iPlayer in America or anywhere with the help of a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Also steps to sign-up for BBC iPlayer and list of best BBC iPlayer VPNs. Let’s dive in:
What is BBC iPlayer?
Best Answer: BBC iPlayer or iPlayer is a free British online streaming, TV, radio and catch-up service. This popular UK based service is a direct competition to other popular platforms like Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, TV3 Player and more.
It offers a large variety of HQ shows, radio shows, movies free of advertisement and also available on all major devices including Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Roku, Firestick and more.
But arguably, only a UK resident can watch this, it means that the channel has the right restrictions for people outside the UK.
This is why when you try to access BBC iPlayer outside UK like in the USA, the following geo-restriction error will appear on your screen:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to right issues.” OR “BBC iPlayer this content doesn’t seem to be working.”
But you can still stream your favorite show on BBC iPlayer in USA or elsewhere by using a right VPN provider.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in USA with a VPN?
Follow these 4 simple steps to watch BBC iPlayer in USA or abroad outside UK using VPN:
- Download and subscribe to a VPN (We recommend PureVPN).
- Now open VPN app on your device and log in with your credentials.
- Connect to the UK server from the list.
- Now visit BBC iPlayer, create FREE Account > and enjoy Streaming BBC iPlayer in USA.
For Postal Code use EC3A 8BF for London, G1 1XW for Glasgow, M1 2BG for Manchester. For more details check our video tutorial.
Testing Video – BBC iPlayer working with a VPN
Note: PureVPN is our top recommendation to stream BBC iPlayer outside UK for its laser fast streaming 168 servers in UK with 4 cities to choose from making our top pick for unlocking British TV Networks.
How VPN Allows You to Access BBC iPlayer in America or Elsewhere Outside UK?
In simple words, your internet connection has your local IP address. And streaming services like BBC iPlayer use an IP tracking system to block the users who try to stream their content outside UK.
Therefore, when you try to access BBC iPlayer in USA or anywhere except UK, the service tracks your local IP and immediately bans you to access the content.
But if you use a VPN, it will allow you to change your local IP with UK IP address. This will trick the service that you are residing somewhere in UK and allows you to access the content from anywhere.
5 Things to Consider Before Choosing the Right VPN for Watching the BBC iPlayer Abroad
There is a huge list of VPN providers all claiming to be the best for streaming geo-blocked content that will put you in a difficult situation to decide which one works well for you.
To find the best VPNs for streaming BBC iPlayer in the US or elsewhere, I listed down the mentioned below VPNs as they all meet the following criteria:
- Consistently unblocks BBC iPlayer and other popular geo-streaming services.
- It provides optimum speed connections for streaming.
- It offers strong encryption protocols to protect users’ data with no-log policy.
- Supports all major devices including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Smart TV, etc.
- Offers at least 5 simultaneous connections on a single subscription.
Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer in USA or Anywhere
I tested around 15 renown VPN providers who claim to unblock BBC iPlayer in USA and found out these 3 Best BBC iPlayer VPN providers that are consistently working:
- PureVPN: #1 Best BBC iPlayer VPN. Offers 2000+ servers in 140+ countries including 160+ UK servers to watch BBC iPlayer in the USA or anywhere at most affordable prices.
- Surfshark: Best Low-Cost BBC iPlayer VPN. It Offers 6 dedicated UK servers for streaming to unblock popular VOD services including Sky Go, My5, All4, BT Sport, ITV, iPlayer and more.
- ExpressVPN: Fastest best BBC iPlayer VPN. Offers fastest 3000+ servers in 90+ countries including 5 UK servers to access BBC iPlayer and other geo-streaming services.
Can I Watch BBC iPlayer in USA with a Free VPN?
Free VPN services are always tempting especially for binge-watchers like me. However, I would never recommend you to use a free VPN service after what I experienced to watch BBC iPlayer abroad.
First, these free VPNs offer terrible speed to stream iPlayer or any other geo-blocked services as they have limited servers and a large number of users.
Second, if you surprisingly find any free VPN that can unblock BBC iPlayer, you will face serious buffering issues and poor video quality because these Free VPNs offer restricted data limits.
Third, the BBC regularly updates its tracking system to block VPN servers. And since these free VPNs providers have limited servers to offer, there is a high probability that they won’t able to unblock iPlayer and other geo-streaming services for you.
Fourth, free VPN services are not free at all because they run proper businesses by selling your data to third parties and earn a hefty amount of money.
Fifth, according to recent studies, 18% of free VPNs use no encryption protocols, almost 40% contained malicious malware, and 84% are vulnerable to IPv6 leaks.
Because of all these facts, using a trusted VPN service with transparent privacy is the best way to stream BBC iPlayer and other popular streaming channels.
Compatible Devices to Watch BBC iPlayer
- Windows via browser
- Mac OS via a browser
- iOS (iPhone and iPad) via official iPlayer app
- Android via official iPlayer app
- Apple TV
- PS3 and PS4
- Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Android Smart TV (for specific brand support check the full list from here)
How to Sign up for the BBC iPlayer?
Signing up for BBC iPlayer to get the most of your favorite shows is quite easy and simple. Now you can personalize recommended shows like His Dark Materials, Dracula, Doctor Who, Great British Bake Off, and pick them up to watch now or later across any device. Let us now find that how you can sign up BBC iPlayer for each of your devices.
Sign up BBC iPlayer on a TV
Ready? Now follow these simple steps to get started:
- First things first, make sure you have a BBC iPlayer account, if you do not have one, register it by visiting bbc.com/account.
- Open the app on your TV and sign in by clicking on the sign in the icon on the top left menu.
Sign up BBC iPlayer via Desktop
- Next to the BBC logo, click on the Sign In button.
- Fill in your credentials; enter your email address and password and click “Sign In”.
Sign up BBC iPlayer on iOS and Android Devices
As soon as you open the BBC app, the first thing you need to do is signing in. Enter your credentials on mobile or tablet and you are good to go!
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Multiple Devices
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in USA or Anywhere?
To watch BBC iPlayer on Roku in USA, you will require a UK account first to get the iPlayer available on Channel Store. Follow these steps once you create a Roku UK account.
- First, reset your Roku device.
- Now, set up a VPN on your router device and connect to UK server (We recommend ExpressVPN for Roku users).
- Connect your Roku device with your TV and sign-up with your UK account.
- Now go to Channel Store, search for iPlayer, and install it.
- Once the BBC iPlayer installs on Roku > Open the app > Sign-in your account and enjoy it.
Note: After setup, a VPN on your router, make sure that your Roku device is connected to the same router connection. Otherwise, BBC iPlayer will not allow you to access the content.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in US or Anywhere?
To watch BBC iPlayer on Apple TV in USA, you need to first change your App Store region from USA to UK. This is because the BBC iPlayer app is not available only in UK App Store because of content right issues. To do so:
- Connect Apple TV with your TV.
- Now go to “Settings” on Apple TV -> Select “General” option -> Select “Region” option.
- Select UK as your region and enter all the required details.
- Once you switch to the UK region -> Go to “App Store” and search for the “BBC iPlayer” app and download it (You don’t need a VPN until this point).
- Now set up a VPN on your router (We recommend ExpressVPN).
- Once your Apple TV connected to a VPN via router -> Open BBC iPlayer > Sign-in to your account and enjoy.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Firestick in USA or Elsewhere?
To watch BBC iPlayer on Firestick, first, you need to create a UK amazon account. Otherwise, you will not find BBC iPlayer app if you use your US account on your Firestick device. Once you created a UK amazon account, install the BBC iPlayer app on your Firestick app and follow these steps to watch BBC iPlayer on Firestick in USA or anywhere:
- Download and subscribe to a VPN on your Firestick device (We recommend ExpressVPN)
- Now open VPN app on Firestick and login with your credentials.
- Connect to UK server from the list.
- Once you are connected to UK server, press the “Home” button on your Firestick remote.
- Now open the BBC iPlayer app on your Firestick and enjoy your favorite show.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Android Device in US or Anywhere?
First, you need to download a BBC iPlayer app on your Android device. However, unlike the iOS devices, you can directly download the iPlayer app on your device via this APK file. Once you downloaded the BBC iPlayer app, follow these steps to stream BBC on your Android device in USA:
- First, install and sign-up for a VPN (We recommend PureVPN).
- Now open the VPN app and log-in with your username and password.
- Connect to UK server from the list and wait for the process.
- Once you are connected to UK server, open BBC iPlayer on your device.
- Now sign-in with your iPlayer account or create a new and enjoy.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on iOS Device in USA or Elsewhere?
You will require to change your App Store to UK region first, otherwise, you can’t find the iPlayer app in your region such as USA because of content geo-restriction. Click on this link to get the steps for how to change the App Store region on your iOS device.
Once you change your App Store region to UK, follow these steps to watch BBC iPlayer on your IOS device in USA or anywhere:
- First, download and install the iPlayer app on your iOS device.
- Now subscribe and install a VPN (We recommend PureVPN).
- Open VPN app on your iOS device and log in with your credentials.
- Now connect to UK server from the list.
- Open BBC iPlayer app and log-in to your account or create a new free account and enjoy.
How to Watch iPlayer on PS3 & PS4 in USA or Abroad?
To watch BBC iPlayer on PS3 and PS4 outside UK, you will require to create a UK PSN account to download the iPlayer app. To do so click on this link and get the steps to create a British PSN account.
Once you create the UK PSN account, now download BBC iPlayer on your PlayStation. Once you downloaded the iPlayer app, now you need to configure a VPN and connect to UK server. Otherwise, a geo-restriction error will appear on your screen.
For PlayStation users, there are two ways to connect a VPN. First, like Roku and Apple TV, you can first setup a VPN with your router.
Once, you set up a smart DNS connection to UK server, now open BBC iPlayer app on your PS4 or PS3 and enjoy in USA or anywhere in the world.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Xbox 360 and Xbox One in US or Abroad?
Similar to PlayStation, if you are residing outside UK, then to watch BBC iPlayer on Xbox One & 360 you need to change the region first. To do so:
- Launch your Xbox One or 360.
- Now head to “My Games and Apps” > Select “Apps” and then select “Settings” option.
- In the “Settings” options > Select “Language & Location” option.
- Now in the “Location” option, select UK region so you can download BBC app that is exclusively available in British region.
- Once you are done with the process > restart your Xbox console.
- Now BBC iPlayer app is available on your Xbox to download.
Once you download the iPlayer app on your Xbox One or Xbox 360, you still need to connect to UK server with a VPN. Otherwise, the BBC iPlayer won’t allow you to access the content because of the right restrictions.
After setting up smart DNS on your Xbox now you can enjoy BBC iPlayer in USA or anywhere globally.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on Smart TV in USA or Anywhere?
- First, You need to change your smart TV region to UK which you can find on an official brand website like Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba, TCL, Hisense, etc. (see a full list of Smart TV supported by BBC iPlayer from here)
- Now, you need to setup a VPN on your router and connect it to UK server (We recommend ExpressVPN). After that connect your smart TV with the same internet connection on which you setup a VPN.
- Search for the BBC iPlayer app and add it to your channel list.
- Now open BBC iPlayer app > Log-in to your account and enjoy in USA or anywhere.
BBC iPlayer Not Working on Samsung Smart TV
According to BBC News, a software glitch is preventing the BBC’s iPlayer streaming service from running on many of Samsung’s smart TVs.
For this all you have to update your Samsung smart TV software and this will resolve the problem.
How Do I Update BBC iPlayer on my Smart TV?
- Select the Blue YV button on your remote control.
- Go to Settings and select “Device Management”
- Select “Update on-demand players“
- Hit “Check Now” to download and install the latest version (if not already installed)
Which BBC Channels and Shows Can I Watch with A VPN
- BBC One
- BBC Two
- BBC Four
- BBC News
- BBC Three
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Parliament
- BBC Alba
- Radio 1
- Doctor Who
- Peaky Blinders
- Killing Eve
- Dublin Murders
- His Dark Materials
- Great British Bakeoff
Can I watch BBC iPlayer without TV Licence?
Can you watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Can you watch BBC iPlayer in Ireland?
Can I watch BBC Online?
Can I watch UK TV on my device abroad?
Can You Get BBC iPlayer on Samsung Smart TV?
Wrapping it Up
I hope after reading this blog, you already start watching BBC iPlayer in USA on your favorite device. With the use of one of the mentioned above VPNs and steps, now you can easily access BBC iPlayer outside UK from anywhere.
Thought, If you still have any questions or want to ask something, you can do it by mentioning your comment below or post your query on my Reddit community. Happy Binging!