The wait is finally over! As of today, you can download BBC iPlayer on PS5 outside UK, and we’ll tell you how.
BBC iPlayer is one of the most popular streaming platforms that supports a number of devices, including Smart TVs, Xbox, and even PS3. Now, with the launch of the BBC iPlayer app on PS5, you can stream live TV, and plenty of BBC iPlayer shows and BBC iPlayer movies in 4K on your gaming console.
The app is available for download in the PlayStation Store in the UK. Unfortunately, BBC iPlayer outside UK is geo-restricted, so viewers outside the UK will need to use a VPN to access BBC iPlayer’s app on PS5. In this guide, we will show you how to do that and start enjoying your favorite content, including the upcoming show The Gold on BBC iPlayer.
Quick Steps: How to watch BBC iPlayer on PS5 Outside UK
Follow these steps to watch BBC iPlayer on PS5:
- Launch your PlayStation and change your PS location to the UK.
- Open the ExpressVPN app and sign in.
- Connect to a UK server from the list of servers.
- On the search bar from the home screen, search for BBC iPlayer app.
- Select the app and download it.
- From the TV & Video icon from the home button, open the BBC iPlayer app.
- Log in and enjoy watching British shows on your PS5.
How You Can Log into Your BBC account
If you are using the BBC iPlayer on PS5 for the first time and you are confused about the BBC iPlayer subscription cost, we have a guide on it. Without further delay, let’s jump into the steps of how you can log in to your BBC iPlayer account:
- Grab another device (tablet, smartphone, PC, laptop, etc.)
- Open the web browser and head over to the BBC account.
- Log in to your BBC iPlayer account.
- Now, type the activation code that is displayed on your PS5 screen.
- After a couple of seconds, you will automatically be logged in on the BBC iPlayer PS5 app.
- You can now enjoy streaming your favorite shows online.
How To Install The BBC iPlayer App On PS5
Follow these steps to install the BBC iPlayer app on PS5:
- From your PS5 home screen, go to the Media tab > scroll to All App section.
- Select the BBC iPlayer app (it is currently in the Featured section and Video and Music apps).
- Download the BBC iPlayer app.
- Open the app, log in and enjoy watching BBC on your PS5.
Best VPNs to Watch BBC iPlayer on PS5
At ScreenBinge, we have tested more than 50 VPNs on their ability to unblock BBC iPlayer outside the UK. Among these, only 3 made it to the top, including:
ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on PS5 Outside UK
ExpressVPN is the most recommended and the best VPN to watch BBC iPlayer on your PlayStation from outside the UK. This VPN has plenty of servers in the UK for watching BBC iPlayer and over 3000+ servers in 94 countries.
Thanks to its ease of use, strong security features, and high speeds of servers. It has resulted in up to 89.42 Mbps download speed, and 84.64 Mbps upload speed which is enough for high-end streaming.
For BBC iPlayer, you can connect to its 4 UK servers located in London, Docklands, and Wembley. It offers the best speeds for streaming shows on BBC iPlayer without any buffering. With its worldwide servers, you can also stream Channel 4 outside UK and also watch iTV ouside UK and anywhere outside the UK.
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous devices per account, and you can get it for GB£5.43/mo (US$6.67/mo) (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan) along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark – Budget-friendly VPN to Watch BBC iPlayer on PS5 Outside UK
Surfshark is the most affordable VPN to stream BBC iPlayer on PlayStation. It is available for only GB£2.03/mo (US$2.49/mo) (83% Off on 2 Years Plan) along with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Among all the VPNs, unblocking BBC iPlayer with Surfshark is the most budget-friendly option.
The upload speed after connecting to Surfshark’s server upload speed was 80.13 Mbps, and the download speed is 88.18 Mbps on a standard 100 Mbps connection. The difference in speeds might seem significant, but rest assured, Surfsharks servers don’t affect your streaming experience.
This budget VPN offers 3200 servers in 65 countries, with 3 UK servers that are located in Manchester, London, and Glasgow. With these servers, you can easily unblock BBC iPlayer outside the UK on your PlayStation. Surfshark also gives good speeds, so it does not affect your streaming.
The best part about this VPN is that it offers unlimited simultaneous connections per account so that you can unblock BBC iPlayer on your PlayStation and other devices simultaneously. So you can easily watch Scottish Championship on BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN – Largest Server Network to Watch BBC iPlayer Outside UK
NordVPN is a reliable and user-friendly VPN to access BBC iPlayer because of its large server network. It has 5100 servers in 60 countries, with 440 servers in the United Kingdom. These can easily bypass BBC iPlayer’s geo-restrictions, allowing you access to the service abroad.
According to our test results, you can enjoy buffer-free streaming because there is a tiny speed change after connecting to the server. Your internet connection has a typical speed of 100 Mbps. The upload speed was 82.86 Mbps, and the download speed was 86.39 Mbps when using Nord VPN.
NordVPN offers fast download speeds for you to enjoy buffer-free streaming. NordVPN can also be used to watch BT Sport outside the UK, and many more geo-restricted services.
This VPN allows 6 simultaneous device connections with an intuitive app interface that allows easy selection of servers and advanced settings. Its price starts at GB£2.68/mo (US$3.29/mo) (Save 60% on 2-year plan) along with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Best BBC iPlayer Shows to Watch on PS5.
Here are some of the popular shows that you can watch on the BBC iPlayer PS5 app:
- Dragons Den
- Show Trial
- Silent Witness
- Interior Design Masters
- Question Time
- Keeping Faith
- Three Families
- The Serpent
- Line of Duty
- Call the Midwife
- Peaky Blinders
- Killing Eve
- Great British Bakeoff
What shows are coming to BBC iPlayer
Here are some of the latest titles on BBC iPlayer along with upcoming shows:
- Doctor Who: Series 10
- Queer Britain
- OJ: Made in America
- Stacey Dooley Investigates
- Mr. Holmes
- The Turn of the Screw
- Let’s Play
- Maddie’s Do You Know
- Their Finest
- Superman & Lois
- Vienna Blood
- What We Do In The Shadows Season 3
Can you watch BBC iPlayer on PS5?
How can I watch BBC on PS5?
How do I use the browser on my PS5?
Here is how you can access the web browser on PS5:
- From the home screen of your PS5, go to Settings.
- Scroll down to Users and Accounts > Link with Other Services.
- Click Twitter > Link Account.
- A pop-up window will open. Don’t log in to your Twitter account. Instead, click the Twitter icon that is available on the top-left corner of the window.
- It will now take you to the traditional web browser page. Now, log in to your Twitter account.
- You can access other websites on it as well, like YouTube. To do that, you will need to open a tweet with the site link. The easiest way is to visit the official account of the website you want to visit.
Why Is BBC iPlayer not available outside the UK?
The BBC iPlayer is finally available to stream on PS5 consoles in the UK. Although it has been available on Xbox and PlayStation 4, BBC iPlayer was missing on some gaming systems, including PS5. But, now you can watch BBC iPlayer on PS5 and stream live TV and shows on your console. Thankfully, viewers outside the UK can also download BBC iPlayer on their PlayStation 5 consoles with a VPN like ExpressVPN. If you want to delete the BBC iPlayer account, here is the guide on it, but we would recommend not to do so.