Is your Amazon Prime VPN not working and you keep seeing messages like “Your device is connected to the internet using a VPN or proxy service. Please disable it and try again.”? Then that means the IP address provided by your VPN has been blocked by Amazon Prime. Bummer!
We know it’s extremely frustrating, but don’t worry! You can try the troubleshooting tips to get rid of the Prime Video VPN problem. Our first recommendation is always to use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN as it offers a vast network of servers that can easily bypass Amazon geo-restrictions.
Once you’re in, you can easily watch content from different Amazon Prime libraries like Daisy Jones & The Six, Coach Prime, Men, White Elephant, The Invitation, Class of ’07, and more.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through all the troubleshooting methods you can try to fix the Amazon Prime proxy error. But first, let’s understand why the Amazon Prime VPN is not working anymore.
Why Amazon Prime VPN Not Working (Probable Reason)
The Amazon Prime VPN not working error occurs because the Amazon blocks VPN. How? The website has trackers to identify any viewer locations using the IP address given by your local internet service provider.
At times, even if you use a VPN to access geo-blocked content on Amazon Prime by swapping your IP address, Amazon Prime can detect the VPN and instantly lock you out and show an HTTP proxy error:
“Your device’s Internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video. Please close or disable any proxy programs and try again.”
It probably means that Amazon Prime has blacklisted the IP address/VPN server on which you’re connected, or your VPN is leaking your actual IP address.
That is one of the most common issues for your Amazon Prime VPN not working effectively to unblock different Amazon Prime libraries around the world.
Is your Amazon VPN not working? Are you facing the Amazon Prime VPN blocked issue? Head over to the next section to solve the Amazon VPN issues and fix the Amazon Video VPN not working proxy error.
How to Fix Amazon Prime VPN Proxy Error?
Regardless of the reason for getting Amazon HTTP Proxy Error, you can fix Amazon Prime VPN block with some simple methods that are given below.
1. Preliminary Checks
- Before using your Amazon Prime VPN, you must close any other VPN apps that are currently running on your computer before moving on to the next solutions.
- You should also ensure that connection issues aren’t due to an antivirus program or firewall software, as these programs can occasionally affect internet connectivity.
- To access Amazon Prime, disable your antivirus or firewall software and then attempt a VPN reconnect. If it helps, make your VPN an exception before turning on your security software again.
- Disconnect from your VPN and then access the website to ensure your internet connection is active.
- Connect to the server location that is most convenient for you. If it helps, the problem is with the server location that you were initially connected to.
- Alternately, change your DNS settings or change networks. You can try connecting to a different network, such as a public Wi-Fi network, to check if the issue is with your current Internet provider.
2. Get a Premium VPN
Unblocking Amazon Prime libraries is not easy; a VPN needs strong encryption and fast servers to bypass the firewall of Amazon Prime without any trouble so that you can watch all the best movies on Prime Video of any region without a hassle.
You will need the best VPN for video streaming to unblock Prime Video; without getting any proxy error so that you can stream best shows on Amazon Prime. Moreover, if you’re a true football lover, you can stream your favorite NFL games without any interruption.
Here is how to bypass the Amazon VPN block issue with a premium VPN:
- Get a premium VPN (ExpressVPN is our top recommendation because of its high-speed servers).
- Download and Install the VPN app.
- Open the ExpressVPN app and connect to servers from the list, depending on the region you are willing to unblock.
- Visit Amazon Prime and start watching without getting any proxy error.
3. Change the VPN Server
If your VPN and Amazon Prime were working and suddenly stopped, try switching to a different server in the same region. As we mentioned earlier, Amazon Prime blacklists the VPN IP address/server, so probably, the server you are using is blacklisted.
After changing the server, reopen Amazon Prime and try unblocking geo-restricted content. If it works, then it is undoubtedly the issue of a blacklisted VPN server.
4. Clear Cache and Cookies
The stored cache and cookies in the browser might cause trouble for the VPN to work correctly. Just go to your browser to clear the cache from the Settings or press “CTRL + SHIFT + DEL” to clear all cookies and cache.
5. Flush DNS
The local ISP stores DNS entries in your device that could create an issue in establishing a connection with the VPN server.
To clear the cache from your device, you need to Flush DNS by using the following method:
- Press the Windows key and “R” to open Run and type “cmd.”
- On Command Prompt, type this query: “ipconfig/flushdns.”
- Press Enter key, and you will get this message on Command Prompt: “Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.”
- After that, reconnect the VPN app and start watching Amazon Prime.
6. Update VPN App
Most of the VPN mobile apps update automatically but not on desktops. If your Amazon Prime VPN is blocked on a desktop, it means you are probably using an old version of it. Go to your respective App Store and download the latest desktop app to fix the proxy error.
7. Incorrect System Date and Time
If you’re having trouble using your VPN to access Amazon Prime, make sure your system’s date and time are accurate. If it’s incorrect, follow these simple steps to update it.
- Right-click the Taskbar’s ‘Date and Time display.’
- Click ‘Adjust date and time settings.’
- Click the Date and Time tab.
- Turn off ‘Set time Automatically.’
- Click ‘Change’ under change date and time. If asked, type your password.
- Choose your current time zone from the drop-down list if you need to change the time zone.
- Select OK.
- Connect to a server by restarting your VPN. If you still have trouble connecting after restarting, try performing a fresh installation of your VPN.
8. No IP or Host Not Found
If you come across the error that says, ‘The requested name is valid but does not have an IP address or Host not found,’ ensure you’re connected to the internet.
If you need to manually activate your DSL connection before going online, refer to your instructions before connecting to your VPN. The VPN isn’t a replacement for your Internet connection.
After reconnecting to your VPN, if the same Amazon Prime Video VPN error persists, it’s possible that your ISP is restricting access to the VPN’s DNS servers. In this case, you must manually specify the DNS servers as stated below.
Activate the Network Connections menu.
- Choose Run by clicking Start.
- Enter ncpa.cpl and then hit OK.
- In the Network connection window, locate your standard connection— it could be a LAN or wireless network connection.
- Select Properties by right-clicking the connection.
The DNS Server Settings
- Double-click Internet Protocol, also known as IPv4 or simply IP.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Enter the following Google DNS server addresses: DNS server to use is 220.127.116.11. DNS server backup 18.104.22.168.
- Try the following if Google DNS is blocked: Enter and click OK to use Neustar DNS Advantage (22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199); enter and select Level3 DNS (188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206).
- After setting up your computer to use the DNS servers provided by your VPN, flush any outdated DNS entries.
With these steps, you can get rid of Amazon Prime video VPN not working issues.
Is your Amazon app not working with VPN? That’s probably because you’re using an unreliable VPN provider. Learn about all the top-tier VPN services in the next section.
What are the Best VPNs to Fix Amazon Prime Proxy Error?
Instead of fixing the Amazon Prime proxy error, how about not getting it at all. We tested a bunch of VPN providers and found the three best Amazon Prime VPNs for uninterrupted streaming.
1- ExpressVPN: Fastest Amazon Prime VPN
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the fastest Amazon Prime VPN, with a fast download speed of 89.42 Mbps. It offers 3000+ servers in 94+ countries that allow easy access to any Amazon Prime content library.
While testing ExpressVPN, we selected the Dockland server (highly recommended), which instantly unblocked Amazon Prime’s UK library for us without displaying any proxy errors.
On the other hand, the London server gave us a hard time while streaming; therefore, it should be avoided!
We also tested ExpressVPN’s speed on our 100 Mbps connection; it showed a download speed of 89.42 Mbps and an upload speed of 84.64 Mbps.
Moreover, ExpressVPN offers a MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) option in order to access any geo-restricted service without a dedicated VPN app, making it one of the best Amazon Prime VPNs in the market. Not only will it fix Amazon Prime streaming problem but it will help you stream Hulu as it is the best Hulu VPN out there.
It is compatible with every major streaming device, including PC, PlayStation, Firestick, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, and Smart TV. ExpressVPN is also compatible with Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows.
Besides watching Amazon Prime Video, you can also watch 7Plus, Foxtel, and Stan in USA!
The 24/7 chat support, 5 simultaneous device connections, strong encryption, and a 30-day money-back guarantee make ExpressVPN the best VPN provider to watch Amazon Prime.
You can buy ExpressVPN’s best subscription plan just at US$6.67/mo (Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan).
2- Surfshark: Most Affordable Prime Video VPN
Surfshark is the most affordable Prime Video VPN which costs as low as US$2.49/mo (83% Off on 2 Years Plan).
This provider quickly unblocks everything on Amazon Prime without giving any proxy error. Its 3200+ servers in 65+ countries lets you access any significant Amazon Prime content catalog, in the UK, Australia, Canada, and any other country.
With the help of Surfshark’s Toronto server (highly recommended), we successfully unblocked Prime Video’s Canada library without facing any proxy error!
However, we also discovered that the Montreal server is very slow and should be avoided!
Surfshark also performed well in the speed test. It gave us a download speed of 88.14 Mbps and an upload speed of 83.72 Mbps.
Surfshark provides military-grade AES-256 encryption, VPN Kill Switch, Clean Web, Bypasser, and Camouflage Mode.
Besides giving a flawless streaming experience with Amazon Prime Video, Surfshark also unlocks Voot, CBC, and CraveTV in US.
It is compatible with every significant streaming device, such as PlayStation, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Wi-Fi routers. Moreover, it supports Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, and all other major operating systems.
Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous device connections on a single account with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3- NordVPN: Largest Server Network VPN for Amazon Prime
NordVPN’s largest server network helps you avoid Amazon Prime Proxy errors! The NordVPN Amazon Prime combo is the best as the VPN provider offers 5310+ servers in 59+ countries to unblock different Amazon Prime Video libraries.
While testing NordVPN’s servers, we discovered that the Adelaide server (highly recommended) is the fastest! On the other hand, the Brisbane server did not give us a good streaming experience; therefore, it should be avoided.
On a 100 Mbps connection, NordVPN gave us a download speed of 86.39 Mbps and an upload speed of 82.86 Mbps.
NordVPN’s advanced features include a zero-log policy, Obfuscated Servers, NordLynx Protocol, Ad-blocker, Double VPN, AES 256-Bit Encryption, and CyberSec.
With the help of NordVPN, you can easily watch Hotstar and SonyLiv in the USA.
NordVPN offers dedicated servers for every major streaming device, including PlayStation, Roku, Xbox, Apple TV, Smart TV, and Wifi routers. It also offers support NordVPN offers support for Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS.
With NordVPN, you can enjoy up to 6 simultaneous connections on a single subscription with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can buy NordVPN’s best pricing plan just at US$3.29/mo (Save 60% on 2-year plan).
Do you want to know the Amazon Prime blocking VPN technique? Navigate to the next heading to find all the details.
How Does Amazon Prime Block VPNs?
You might be wondering why is my VPN not working with Amazon Prime. It is because of the mentioned three methods Amazon prime is blocking VPN’s successfully
If your Amazon Prime VPN Three primary methods are used by Amazon Prime to disable VPNs:
- The most popular method is to block the IP addresses that your VPN may offer. Customers using VPN services can share IP addresses because there are more users than IP addresses available. Only a few gadgets in a home typically share the same IP address.
When Amazon Prime notices hundreds or even thousands of connections coming from the same IP address, it recognizes that the connections are coming through a VPN and disables the connection.
- Amazon Prime keeps an eye out for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks that can let them know you’re using a VPN.
- To locate IP addresses, Amazon Prime collaborates with GeoIP databases like Maxmind. Amazon Prime can determine where in the world you are connecting from, and then block you if the IP address your VPN gives you is listed in one of these databases.
Want to know if you can use a free VPN for Amazon Prime? Head over to the next section to find out.
Can a Free VPN Fix Amazon Prime Proxy Error?
Per our testing, none of the free VPN providers could fix Amazon Prime proxy error. Free VPN providers have fewer resources and servers that do not provide strong encryption to a dedicated IP address to its users.
Due to a lack of servers, Amazon Prime can easily detect Free VPNs being used when numerous logins occur from a single IP address, hence blacklisting free VPNs’ IP addresses/servers; which means you’ll be back to Amazon Prime VPN not working again.
However, if you still want to go for a free VPN then the best free VPN for Amazon Prime is Windscribe. It has proven to be a great option that checks all the boxes, and comes at no cost. However, you’ll have to face bandwidth and data limits.
Does Amazon Prime block VPN?
Why is my VPN not working with Amazon Prime?
To fix this issue, try clearing your cookies and cache or try connecting to a different VPN server that is not blacklisted by Amazon Prime.
Will I get Amazon proxy error while traveling abroad?
How do I get Amazon Prime to work with VPN?
How do I trick Amazon Prime video location?
- Download and install a VPN (Recommended: ExpressVPN).
- Launch the VPN app.
- Connect to your preferred server.
- Visit Amazon Prime Video and start watching your favorite content.
Can I have Amazon Prime in two countries?
Does NordVPN work with Amazon Prime?
Is using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video legal?
Wrapping it Up!
Hopefully, this blog will help you understand the issues you’re currently facing and help you resolve every Amazon Prime VPN not working error. Amazon prime cost is a great value for money that you can cancel any time you want.
Not only that but you can also get your hands on the Amazon Prime free trial. However, our number one tip is to use a premium VPN like ExpressVPN to rid yourself of any errors. Moreover, with a VPN, you can change Amazon Prime country as well.
If you still have any issues with Amazon not working with VPN, feel free to comment below, and we will get back to you soon.