Wondering which VPN is best for Apple TV to unlock your favorite geo-lock content from anywhere? Below we will tell you a list of the best Apple TV VPNs and easy steps to set up a VPN with Apple TV. So without any further ado, let’s dive in:
If you love to binge your favorite VOD services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime or want to watch live TV, Apple TV is one of the best choices available out there. However, because of content distribution policies and copyright agreements, the availability of content varies from country to country. And currently, in some locations, you might not be able to use Apple TV.
Another problem – if you are traveling outside the country, where your iTunes account and payment method are registered, there is a possibility you won’t be able to access the content that you can access in your country because of content geo-restrictions.
This situation triggers the use of a VPN with Apple TV to access all your favorite content from anywhere abroad. If you are running late and already know how to set up a VPN, here is the quick overview of the best Apple TV VPNs in 2021:
Quick Summary: Best VPNs for Apple TV
- ExpressVPN: Offers MediaStreamer, aka smart DNS proxy, router configuration, and the virtual router option to set up a VPN with Apple TV, making it an ultimate choice for streaming. It provides 3000+ servers in 90+ countries. And it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Offers stand-alone smart DNS service to set up with Apple TV. It unblocks all major streaming platforms, including Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more. Only VPN in the list that provides unlimited simultaneous connections.
- NordVPN: Most balanced VPN for Apple TV. Unblocks all major streaming platform, including BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney+, and More.
- PrivateVPN: Fast performing VPN to unblock geo-block content on Apple TV. Offers a small network of servers
- PureVPN: It offers a large number of servers to choose for streaming geo-lock content.
Note: Bear in mind in this guide, we are explaining only those features of mentioned-above VPN services to access geo-block streaming content such as Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Crunchy Roll, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more on your Apple TV.
How to Use a VPN with Apple TV to Access Geo-Block Streaming Content?
Unlike other streaming devices, such as laptop, desktop, smartphones, and tablets, Apple TV does not support VPN client. However, you can use a VPN to set up a smart DNS, Wi-Fi router, or virtual router to access geo-block content. We highly recommend using VPN’s Smart DNS proxy as it is simple to set up with Apple TV. Here is how you can set up smart DNS on Apple TV to watch your favorite geo-lock TV shows and movies from anywhere:
Easy Steps: How to Set Up a Smart DNS on Apple TV via VPN
There are three main steps to set up a DNS on Apple TV. However, you need to subscribe to a VPN that works with Apple TV in 2021. Based on our testing, we highly recommend ExpressVPN. Once you subscribe for ExpressVPN, follow these steps to set up Smart DNS on Apple TV:
Create a DDNS Hostname
- First, go to www.dynu.com (a free DDNS service provider) and create your account and click submit.
- After that, a new screen will appear for email verification > check your email and click on the link sent by Dynu to verify your account.
- Now log-in to your account that you just created.
- Once you sign-in, click on the “DDNS Services” option.
- Now click “Add” located at the top right corner.
- Now two options will appear on your screen > Go for “Option 1: Use Our Domain Name” and enter your desired hostname and then click add.
- On the next screen, disable “Wildcard Alias” and “Enable IPv6 Address” option and click save.
- Congratulations! your Dynu account is now set up.
Register Your Hostname with VPN
- Now visit the ExpressVPN official website and click “My Account.”
- Now enter your username and password and then click the “Sign In” button.
- Click “DNS Settings” located on the top right corner of the screen.
- Now scroll down until you see “Dynamic DNS Registration” > Now enter the hostname (it should be like “hostname.dynu.com”) and then click the “Save Hostname” option.
Set Up DNS on Apple TV
- On the ExpressVPN website, return to the page and select “My Subscriptions” and then select the “Set up ExpressVPN” option.
- Now on the next page, select “Apple TV” located on the left side of the screen.
- After clicking “Apple TV” option, the DNS server will show up on the right side of the screen. Save it on your mobile or laptop as you will need to enter your Apple TV device.
- Now launch your Apple TV device and select “Settings.”
- Select the “Network” option from the Settings menu.
- Now depending on which type of internet connection your Apple TV device is using, you can see it under the “Connection” option > Select whatever appears.
- Select the “Configure DNS” option.
- Now select “Manual.”
- Apple TV will show your current IP Address. Note this IP address in case if you want these settings back on your Apple TV.
- Now its time to enter the 12-digit DNS address that you found on the ExpressVPN website. Once enter the DNS address, select “Done.”
- Once a new DNS address is updated, its time to restart the Apple TV device. To restart: Settings > System > Restart.
- Congratulations! VPN is set up on your Apple TV now using smart DNS to access geo-block streaming content.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Apple TV?
Based on the following criteria, we choose the best Apple TV VPNs:
- Offers smart DNS servers in all the locations where Apple TV is available.
- It allows to stream geo-lock content in HD and 4K quality.
- Provides 24/7 live chat support to assist users in case they need any help regarding set up.
- It offers at least a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It offers at least five simultaneous connections.
The Best Apple TV VPNs in 2021
ExpressVPN is our best recommendation for Apple TV in 2021. Based on our testing, we find ExpressVPN’s smart DNS known as MediaStreamer best way to set up and use a VPN with Apple TV. Besides MediaStreamer, you can also set up a VPN connection on Apple TV. ExpressVPN also offers a pre-configured router. Or, if you own a compatible router, you can set up ExpressVPN on it without paying any additional charges. However, using smart DNS with Apple TV is far simple compared to other methods. And if you are not a privacy enthusiast, smart DNS is the best way to access geo-lock streaming content such as Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
With ExpressVPN’s Media Streamer, We didn’t experience any buffering issue, and it allows us to stream geo-block content in HD and 4K on Apple TV. And when we approach this provider 24/7 live chat support agent, it assists us professionally and in layman language to set up ExpressVPN on Apple TV.
This provider offers 3000+ in 90+countries that allows you to access almost every geo-lock content. It offers five simultaneous connections on a single subscription. It provides dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Firestick. And the option to set up a VPN connection on devices that do not support VPN directly, such as Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, PS4, Samsung Smart TV with TizenOS, LG Smart TV with WebOS, and more.
- It works flawlessly with Apple TV to stream geo-block content.
- Offers blazing fast speeds to stream content in HD and 4K.
- It unblocks all major streaming services on Apple TV as well as on other devices.
- 24/7 excellent live chat support.
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Expensive compared to other providers
If you have a small budget for a VPN that works with Apple TV, Surfshark can be a great choice for you. This provider offers a smart DNS service already a part of the basic subscription to set up on Apple TV. With Surfshark, you can use two methods to set up a VPN connection on Apple TV, either setting up on your router or using Surfshark DNS. However, smart DNS is our preferred choice to access geo-block content on Apple TV as it is simple to set up and offers high speed to stream in HD and 4K quality. Based on our testing, Surfshark’s smart DNS allows us to access all the popular streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime on Apple TV without buffering pauses.
It offers 1700+ servers in 60+ countries, including all the locations where Apple TV service is available. And in this cheap pricing, it is the only provider that offers unlimited simultaneous connections. Apart from Apple TV, it supports all the major streaming platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and Firestick.
- Offers smart DNS service that comes with a standard subscription.
- Unblocks Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, HBO Max, Disney+ on Apple TV.
- It offers unlimited simultaneous connections.
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Sometimes smart DNS service gets slow while streaming content.
- Sometimes live chat support is not available.
NordVPN offers a stand-alone SmartPlay (encrypted smart DNX tool) service that allows access to geo-lock streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer on Apple TV from anywhere. And you don’t need to subscribe separately for its SmartPlay as it comes as a part of the standard subscription. Based on our testing, Nord’s encrypted smart DNS allows us to stream all the geo-block content on Apple TV in HD and 4K. But unlike ExpressVPN and Surfshark, to use SmartPlay on Apple TV, you need to set up first on your Wi-Fi router via using NordVPN app. It also provides pre-configured DD-WRT routers with all the servers you need to access geo-locked content on Apple TV.
Overall it offers 5000+ servers in 59 countries and six simultaneous connections on a single subscription. And in case you need assistance while setting up on Apple TV, you can contact its 24/7 live chat support.
- SmartPlay (encrypted smart DNS proxy) works great with Apple TV.
- It unblocks all the popular streaming services on Apple TV.
- 24/7 live chat support.
- It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Apps are not so user-friendly for new VPN users
- Sometimes speed goes down drastically.
PrivateVPN has become very popular because of its unblocking capabilities. You can use PrivateVPN with Apple TV by setting up its DNS service on your router (DD-WRT, Tomato, Linksys, Asus RT models, Synology, QNap, or pfSense) to access geo-locked streaming content from anywhere. Based on our testing, this provider unblocks all the popular streaming services, including Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and others on Apple TV.
Compared to other providers in the list, setting up PrivateVPN DNS service is a bit complex and might be too difficult for new users. However, it works seemingly fast and allows you to stream geo-blocked content on Apple TV in HD and 4K.
This provider offers 100+ servers in 60 countries available at all the locations where Apple TV service works. It offers six simultaneous connections on a single subscription and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It unblocks all the streaming services on Apple TV.
- Great speed to stream content in HD and 4K.
- Live chat support
- Difficult to set up DNS with Apple TV for starters
- Offers a small network of servers compared to other providers
PureVPN up its game in providing access to geo-block streaming content from anywhere. There are three ways to set up PureVPN with Apple TV, including configuring it on a Wi-Fi router, Ethernet, or creating a Wi-Fi hotspot. During our testing, we find creating a Wi-Fi hotspot is the most simple way to use a VPN with Apple TV. All you need to do is install a PureVPN app on your laptop, smartphone, desktop, or tablet > connect to the desired server and create a Wi-Fi hotspot > then launch your Apple TV device and combine it with Wi-Fi hotspot connection and enjoy all your favorite geo-block content from anywhere.
PureVPN offers 2000+ servers in 140+ countries and allows ten simultaneous connections on a single subscription. And in case you don’t like the service, you can get a full refund as the service offers a 31-day money-back guarantee.
- Unblocks US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, iPlayer, and Disney+ on Apple TV
- It offers a large number of servers in 140+ countries.
- Offers 24/7 live chat support
- Sometimes severs lost connection while streaming content.
- Speeds get slow occasionally
VPNs That Don’t Work with Apple TV
Based on our testing, we found the following VPNs that don’t work with Netflix:
- VPN Book
- Cactus VPN
- HotSpot Sheild